It is probably hard to imagine a world without the internet. A world where there is no Netflix, no social media, no emails and a host of other normal activities aided by the internet. Today, thanks to modern wireless technology, Wi-Fi has made it simple to get connected to high speed internet even in remote locations. Further, Wi-Fi has become a daily companion and many believe that they cannot do without it.
Today’s workplace is a far cry from the offices of yester years. The modern office is connected to high-speed internet via Wi-Fi. Workers can access information at their fingertips and connect with their colleagues in different locations. Communication is also enhanced through emails, internet calls, and videoconferencing tools such as Zoom.
- Wi-Fi enhances expandability where a large number of workers perform tasks within the same network at the same time. Sharing of files, communicating with colleagues and clients, accessing information and other related office tasks become a breeze.
- Wi-Fi increases productivity at work. Cloud-based tools enable collaboration among workers making it possible to access work servers, share information and perform tasks even remotely.
- Businesses that offer Wi-Fi access to clients help to boost customer satisfaction. Clients feel that they are more valued and may even feel that the waiting time is shorter at the reception.
- Using Wi-Fi for your business can help boost profits because it has a proven ROI.
Internet connection via Wi-Fi has created smart homes. A smart home uses devices connected to the internet to monitor systems and appliances in the residence, such as lighting or playing music. The devices are connected via the internet of things (IoT) and operate together to perform functions chosen by the user. For instance smart locks can be programmed to open and close at certain intervals, smart thermostats can enable users to monitor and control temperature at home and smart security cameras can detect motion and share information with the owner in real time. Homes with an internet connection also enable people to work from home helping them increase their productivity.
- Increased efficiency where resources such as energy and water get to be used when they are needed and in the right amount, thus helping users to save money
- Users access more control of functions in their homes enabling them to boost home security
- More comfort and convenience
Now more than ever, more people are connected through social media. Social media apps have employed advanced wireless communication solutions such as Wi-Fi to enable hundreds of millions of users to communicate and share resources daily. It is possible for users to make calls, write messages, share photos, videos and documents instantly with people around the world. Companies that wish to advertise on social media pay huge amounts to reach the vast audience. The Internet from sources such as Wi-Fi have turned the world into a global village.
Every place you turn, there is an online store. More people are opting to buy from E-commerce platforms, making it necessary for retailers to go online. All one needs is just an internet connection to order items in a simple and convenient way. A stable Wi-Fi internet connection offers shoppers a smooth and easy time when purchasing items online.
Businesses can also use Wi-Fi marketing to help them generate more revenue. Wi-Fi marketing has been proven to be an effective tool to target consumers with the intended marketing messages. Some studies suggest that more shoppers prefer to purchase items from stores that have Wi-Fi.
The traditional model of education in a physical class has been disrupted by the internet. Learners can now access education material and attend classes using Wi-Fi internet. With increased global pandemics disrupting learning, more education institutions are adopting learning methods over the internet thus helping them to continue with their education.
It is now possible to send and receive payments online. If you have a stable internet connection such as Wi-Fi, you can easily send money to people, pay for purchases and make bank transactions from the comfort of your home.
Platforms such as Spotify and Netflix give their subscribers access to content when they need it. This has eliminated the need for older technology such as DVDs. All one needs is a Wi-Fi connection, and they are good to go.
Wi-Fi continues to revolutionize the way we interact, conduct business and undertake activities in our lives. This new technology has brought more convenience and efficiency and is continuing to shape the future.
Samantha Acuna is a writer based in San Francisco, CA. Her work has been featured in The Huffington Post, Entrepreneur.com, and Yahoo Small Business.