Many cases of arson are preventable. There are a number of preventive measures that business owners can take, including:
- Install a quality burglar and fire alarm system.
- Strengthen your doors and windows to keep arsonists, thieves and vandals out.
- Outer fences, walls and gates should be high and strong.
- Use quality locks and padlocks.
- The gaps under doors should be as small as possible.
- Stored materials should not be stacked outside where they could be set on fire.
- Report suspicious activity to the police.
- Join and participate in a local Business Watch.
- Perform a regular “End of Day” checklist.
- Secure the building, office, or store, locking all doors and windows.
- Set burglar and fire alarm system.
- Ensure that outside lights are turned on to illuminate property.
- Ensure that dumpsters are padlocked.
- Ensure that all flammable liquids and material are safely stored in an approved storage area.
Small business owners should make a special effort to protect their property, employees, customers, and themselves from arson.