We have already briefly mentioned this format in this article “Image file formats – JPEG, PNG, SVG, PDF”. Now let`s analyze the pros and cons of the format in more detail.
PDF was developed by the team of Adobe Systems. Developers set the goal to create a format that can be displayed and opened the same on any device. PDF is often associated with “paperless office” and used for printing and designing.
Advantages and disadvantages
– popularity of formats. PDF can be opened on any device with any operating system in exactly the same form in which it was created;
– easy for viewing. Adobe Acrobat Reader is often pre-installed on your computer and it is totally free;
– PDF takes little space on your hard drive, because it supports a variety of image compression algorithms;
– user can customize the security settings, for example, prohibit printing or editing. Format allows using electronic signatures to determine the authenticity of the document.
– it’s not free to edit PDF files;
– it’s easier to edit files in other formants than in PDF, because PDF files must be edited in specialized programs;
– it’s difficult to work with text in PDF files, because they are perceived as a picture.
How to use the PDF
PDF format is used for storage and transmission of textual and graphical information on the Internet. PDF is excellent to use for corporate goals. For example, for placing a price list or an agreement. See also instruction about how to edit PDF files.