Want to increase the chances your press release will actually get picked up by the media? Use this top ten list as your guide.
Keep these few crucial details in mind when writing and submitting your press release to increase your chances of news coverage:
1. If you are not the news: become the news. No matter what your release is about, you need to find a way to tie into the news. Research and make use of current trends and statistics.
2. Make sure your headline is catchy, compelling the reader to continue. Research your newspaper to see what works to help you write one.
3. Use “Who, what, where, when, why, how” but not in that order. Your first paragraph should state the problem your product/service/book is trying to solve. This is the “why”.
4. Your next few paragraphs should contain the “what” and “who” that is solving the problem. Your last paragraph is the “when and “where”.
5. Keep it short and sweet. Limit paragraphs to about 4 sentences. Concise contact information should be included on the top and bottom of the release.
6. Do not “advertise” – this is the news. Keep your release fact-based.
7. Use short quotes that evoke an emotion about the product/service/book.
8. Type ### at the end of your release to indicate there are no more pages. A release of more than one page is not recommended.
9. Include a brief history section at the bottom of your release with details about your company or your bio. Provide a link to your website.
10. Most importantly – research and send it to the correct editor using the method they prefer to receive it. Don’t just assume that fax is okay. If you are unsure, pick up the phone and find out.
Following these few guidelines will help get the word out about your product, service or book. Remember, be patient and follow-up with hot leads that have expressed an interest.
Susan Valeri is a business and book publicist who gets clients in front of their audience. Her company, V.A.S. & Associates, obtains maximum visibility for their clients through personalized and persistent contact with the media. V.A.S. offers 15 years experience in the U.S. and Canadian book publicity market. Visit www.powerfulpublicity.com.