Implement these simple, but powerful, techniques in your small businesses today. These tips work for all types of successful businesses such as online e-commerce stores, start up clothing companies, and women-owned businesses
Know Your Customers
Understanding your clients and their mindset will show you the way to best relate and sell to them. Successful businesses that know their customers have a level of control that other, less customer-centric, firms do not.
Successful businesses always strive to find out where customers learned about their products and services. A simple question such as “How did you find us?” will pay huge dividends in marketing knowledge. This is how to learn which marketing dollars paid off, was it your website, email marketing, trade shows or social media that delivered this new customer to your company?
Only when you understand your consumer will you have the intelligence and confidence to scale up your firm. This knowledge is power, knowing what marketing activities have brought in customers and which were ineffective, enables you to invest in winning strategies to grow your customer base.
See Yourself Succeed
Do you see your startup succeeding and becoming a successful business? Really? While not an actual physical step, it is just as important, if not more so, to see, in your mind’s eye, your new business prosper. This is much more than dreaming or idle fantasy. It is a focused, mind exercise to build your inner confidence muscles to support your success. Additionally, these mental activities will tap into your inner knowledge, and the collective wisdom of the universe in surprising and helpful ways for your business success. Haven’t you ever just “gotten an idea” about a perplexing problem seeming out of nowhere? Successful businesses are built first in the mind and then on earth.
Success Visualization Steps:
- Picture, in great detail, the steps and activities involved in getting your first 50 paying customers like successful businesses.
- Create an image or a symbol that will represent in a visual form your success such as your e-commerce store online, or your retail store filled with buying customers.
- Repeat daily. Every day take a few moments and sell your journey to success, through the days and month and imprint your success image on your mind.
Do Your Best – Forget About Perfection
There is no perfect on Earth; only God is perfect. Even successful businesses are not perfect. So stop trying to be perfect and wasting precious time and energy. Instead, aim for the best possible performance and accept the inevitable limitations and flaws that are life even in the most successful businesses.
In real life that means focus on doable activities and reasonable growth rates. Too much work and unobtainable goals will hinder your progress by burning out you, the business owner and your team. You will end up dissatisfied, lose employees and resent the very same startup you loved.
Start Today – Build for Tomorrow
Entrepreneurs are now people. They are high-energy, type A personalities that focus on getting results today. While that is admirable and ideal for startups, it needs to be tempered with long-term growth and sustainability actions for successful businesses. You want to launch your company in such a way that it is still in business and prospering 10+ years from now. That is the true definition of successful businesses.
Tips for Building Startup Sustainability
- Patience – This is a rare trait in Entrepreneurs. Long-term businesses are built day-by-day in small increments. Stick to business basics of customer service and fiscal conservatism to build the foundation of your long-term business.
- Security – Some Entrepreneurs equate security with boredom, which is far from the truth. Security in business is taking the future view of balancing growth with long-term safety, instead of trying only for fast growth always keep safety top of mind.
- Depth – Stable businesses almost always go deep instead of wide. Having those deep roots will help your firm weather the economic storms and become successful businesses.