How to Amend a Michigan Articles of Incorporation

Enhance the foundation of your Michigan-based business by making strategic adjustments to your Articles of Incorporation—discover the essential reasons and unlock the full potential of your company with our comprehensive guide below.

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 15,636 reviews

If your business has recently gone through changes such as changing its name, stock information, or resident agent, you may need to inform the state by filing an amendment to your Articles of Incorporation. This is an important step to making sure your business is compliant with state law. If this sounds overwhelming and complicated, don’t worry. Let’s walk through who might need to file a Certificate of Amendment to their Michigan Articles of Incorporation, how to do so, and how we can help.

What are Michigan Articles of Incorporation?

In Michigan, Articles of Incorporation are the founding document of all corporations. This document contains information about the company’s name, place of business, purpose, and name and address of the corporation’s registered agent in addition to the term of the corporation and information about shares.

You must file your Articles of Incorporation with the Corporations Division of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) office. Once accepted, it means you are an official business entity in Michigan. The Corporations Division then issues a Certificate of Incorporation to confirm your incorporation was successful.

Why would I need to file a Michigan Certificate of Amendment?

The state of Michigan requires you to let them know if you need to change or update your Articles of Incorporation. You must also inform the LARA Corporations Division if you add any articles to the document.

In particular, the state of Michigan requires you to keep your Articles of Incorporation updated for compliance and auditing purposes. Your current contact information must be available to the public, as well as information about your registered agent for any service of process. Up-to-date Articles of Incorporation are required to keep your business legal.

If you don’t keep your Articles of Incorporation current, your company won’t be able to get a Certificate of Good Standing. This document shows that you’re in compliance with the state’s regulations. It’s necessary for raising capital and opening a business bank account, amongst other things.

Step 1: Understand when to file a Michigan Certificate of Amendment

The state of Michigan requires you to file a Certificate of Amendment to the Articles of Incorporation with the Corporations Division of LARA whenever you change your corporation’s name, address, purpose, or resident agent. State law requires a properly filed amendment within 30 days of the changes.

Step 2: Gather the necessary information you need to amend your Michigan Articles of Incorporation

Michigan businesses use the Corporations Division’s Form 515 to notify the state of any changes. Make sure to attach any needed supporting documentation, even if it’s not required. If you are changing your registered agent, the form to file is the Certificate of Change of Registered Office and/or Change of Resident Agent, which is Corporations Division Form 520.

We can make this whole process easier. We can connect you with a Michigan resident agent if you need one, and we also provide an annual report service. Another option is our Worry-Free Compliance service, which helps keep you compliant with requirements in Michigan and includes two amendments at no extra charge as well as filing your annual report for you.

Starting a business? Let us help you form and grow your Michigan corporation

Keeping your Michigan corporation’s Articles of Incorporation updated is an important step to keeping your business legally compliant. We are here to simplify the entire process. Our Worry-Free Compliance service includes two amendments every year as well as the filing of your required annual report, proactive notification of all your filing deadlines, monitoring to help your corporation stay in compliance with the state of Michigan, and assistance should you fall out of compliance.

Need to form your corporation first? Check out our corporation formation service to see how easy it can be to start a Michigan business.

Michigan Amendment FAQs

  • All Michigan businesses making changes to their formation document must file a Certificate of Amendment using the right from found on the LARA website.

  • Filing fees will vary based on the state’s fee schedule, which can be found on the LARA website. For corporations, you will pay more if you need to change its number of authorized shares. Expedited service is available for an additional fee.

  • All amendments are submitted to the state via its official website or via mail, but online is the preferred and quickest method.

  • No. A corporation amendment is a change in the basic information regarding an already-existing corporation in the state of Michigan. This information can involve a change in the corporation’s name, address, number of shares, registered agent, purpose, or Board of Directors. Annual reports, on the other hand, are compliance documents that are required every year by the state.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Get Incorporated in Michigan Today!