How to Amend a New Hampshire Certificate of Formation

Discover why amending your New Hampshire Certificate of Formation is vital for compliance and adaptability. Dive into our guide below for expert insights.

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 15,600 reviews

If you own and run a New Hampshire Limited Liability Company (LLC), you’re probably concerned about business compliance. If certain public information about your company changes, you’ll need to notify the state of those updates through amending your Certificate of Formation. We’ll show you how the New Hampshire LLC amendment process works and how we can help make the process quick and easy.

Need to form your LLC first? We can help get your New Hampshire LLC started with our fast, easy New Hampshire LLC formation service. We’d love to help you make your business dreams a reality.

What is a New Hampshire Certificate of Formation?

A New Hampshire Certificate of Formation is the document that forms your LLC. It contains key public information about your business, like the name of your company, its main business purpose, and the address of your principal office. This information is required to officially register your business with the state.

Step 1:  Determine if you need to amend your New Hampshire Certificate of Formation

Your Certificate of Formation is what makes your business a legally recognized New Hampshire business. The certificate also entitles you to the tax benefits of being an LLC. You need to make a New Hampshire LLC amendment to change or update your company’s public information. You also need to make a New Hampshire LLC amendment if you want to add or delete articles from your certificate.

Businesses usually file New Hampshire Articles of Amendment when updating public information for public and government contact purposes. They also notify the state of changes when they need to update any other information for compliance and auditing purposes. 

In many states, you can change your registered agent with an LLC amendment. In New Hampshire, you need to submit a separate document to change your registered agent. Unlike some other states, New Hampshire won’t recognize a change of registered agent made through an LLC amendment.

We help New Hampshire LLCs with our Worry-Free Compliance service. We also provide you with two free yearly amendments (you only pay the filing fees). We’ll help you track business compliance so you can stay focused on running the business you love. We also offer New Hampshire registered agent service to help you stay on top of your service of process obligations and agent change filings.  

There are no direct financial penalties for failure to correct your certificate, but you won’t be able to get a Certificate of Good Standing. A Certificate of Good standing confirms that your business has paid all of its fees, filed all required forms, and is a valid New Hampshire business.

The inability to get a Certificate of Good Standing limits your business’s financial future. Some problems you’ll encounter include:

  • Issues obtaining business credit or open a bank account
  • Problems getting or keeping business licenses
  • Problems raising capital 
  • Issues doing business in other states or countries

We can help give you peace of mind with our Worry-Free Compliance service. We offer two yearly amendments to help keep your business compliant. 

Step 2:  Identify what to change in your New Hampshire Certificate of Formation

The New Hampshire Limited Liability Company Certificate of Amendment to the Certificate of Formation (referred to simply as Certificate of Amendment) only requires you to include the name of the LLC and the amendment to be made. The Certificate of Amendment is a very short form and allows you to change virtually any information except the company’s registered agent. 

Step 3: File your New Hampshire amendment

You need to have a manager or member sign the New Hampshire LLC amendment. This is a New Hampshire Secretary of State rule. Alternatively, you can file the Certificate of Amendment online using the Secretary of State’s NH QuickStart portal. You’ll need to have your business’s login information, or you’ll need to create an account if you don’t already have one. 

We can make your filing obligations easier with our Worry-Free Compliance Service. We offer two yearly amendments (you only pay the filing fees). Let us help you keep your focus on your business, and not on paperwork.

Restated Certificate of Formation With or Without Amendments

New Hampshire offers businesses the option of restating their Certificate of Formation. This is done through a Limited Liability Company Restated Certificate of Formation With or Without Amendments (more simply referred to as the Restated Certificate of Formation). New Hampshire doesn’t offer businesses a “statement of correction” or other forms to make minor updates. Businesses can either amend or restate their formation certificates.

We can help you with this process using our Worry-Free Compliance Service. We’ve helped many New Hampshire business owners with their compliance, amendments, and formation documents.

We are here to help you meet your New Hampshire compliance needs

We help business owners from formation to compliance with New Hampshire LLC amendments and more. Our Registered Agent service helps with your registered agent and service of process obligations. And our Worry-Free Compliance Service with two yearly amendments helps keep your business in compliance with state filing obligations. 


  • You can complete the amendment process without an attorney’s help, but you need to make the decision that’s right for your business and the changes needed.

  • Almost any change to your business can be reported in a Certificate of Amendment. However, changes like adding or removing managers or members need to be reported as soon as possible on company letterhead. This can be done via email to Other changes, like changing a registered agent, need to be done by a separate form.

  • No, these are two separate types of forms. An annual report provides basic public business information each year to the state. A Certificate of Amendment provides updated information when needed.

  • The certificate can be filed quickly online using the NH QuickStart portal. Filings can also be done by mail and by walk-in where available. Filing times may vary due to staffing and processing ability. Check with the Secretary of State’s office for the most updated information.

  • The type of confirmation you’ll receive depends upon whether you file online, by mail, or in person.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Start Your New Hampshire LLC