How to Change Your New Hampshire Business Name

If you want to change your business name in New Hampshire, you’ll file an amendment to your business formation documents with the New Hampshire Secretary of State, Corporation Division. LLCs usually file a Certificate of Amendment, while corporations file Articles of Amendment to the Articles of Incorporation. We’ll guide you through the process with our Amendment Filing Service. 

Starts at $0 + New Hampshire state fees and only takes 5-10 minutes

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 16,127 reviews

As your business grows, you might reach a point where you want to change its name. If you run a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation formed in New Hampshire, you need to file paperwork with the state to change your name. Filing will keep your business legally compliant and officially up to date in the government’s records.

If you’re unsure how to change a business name in New Hampshire, we’ve outlined three simple steps for your business to be prepared for an official name change.

How to Get a New Business Name

Before changing your business name, there are a few things you need to do in preparation. These steps will explain where to find the information to complete your name change and file the amendment form.

1.) Choose a new business name

As a creative entrepreneur, you may already have a new name in mind. However, like your initial business name, your new name needs to meet a few legal requirements. Under New Hampshire business laws, acceptable business names must:

  • Include a word or abbreviation identifying the underlying legal entity (i.e., Corporation, Co., Inc., Ltd. Liability Co., or LLC)
  • Be distinguishable from other New Hampshire business names

Finding the right identifying word or abbreviation is a personal choice so long as it correctly identifies your business structure. However, ensuring your potential name is distinguishable from others requires searching thoroughly for existing business registrations and name reservations. Our Business Name Checker can simplify the process.

2.) Gather information for filing your amendment

A name change requires filing an amendment to your business formation documents. Therefore, it’s essential to have the information from your Certificate of Formation (LLCs) or Articles of Incorporation (corporations). Here’s a quick list of the information you’ll need to complete your business name change in New Hampshire:

  • The currently registered business name on file with the Corporation Division
  • The date the corporate board of directors adopted the amendment
  • Signature of the LLC’s manager or member, or the corporation’s board chairman, president, or another officer
  • A certification that the corporate board of directors or shareholders properly adopted the amendment 

In addition, be prepared to pay a filing fee. You can find the current filing fees on the New Hampshire Secretary of State’s website.

3.) File your New Hampshire amendment 

You can file online through NH QuickStart when you’re ready to file your amendment. The Corporation Division accepts Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or pre-authorized ACH debit for filing fees. If you want to pay by ACH debit, the pre-authorization process can take up to two weeks. The Corporation Division provides fillable .pdf forms on their website to print and deliver your amendment by mail or at the office in person.

After You Change Your Business Name

After you file your official name change, it’s a good idea to ensure that your business name is consistent across all places where you use it. In addition to changing your name with the Corporation Division, remember to update your name:

  • With the bank that services your business checking account or any loans
  • On marketing materials like websites, logos, business cards, or letterheads
  • With the IRS and New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration
  • On legal documents, including employment contracts and third-party agreements

Taking the time to update your business name will save your business goodwill and prevent confusion later.

We can help

The process of how to change a business name in New Hampshire isn’t complicated. Nonetheless, let us help you complete the name change paperwork with our Amendment Filing Service. Our team of business experts will be here to guide you through every stage of running a business.

For guidance on starting your new business, we offer Business Formation Services for a New Hampshire LLC or a New Hampshire corporation. We’ll help you complete the paperwork and get your business up and running within minutes. We can also help your business maintain good status with our Worry-Free Compliance Service, which includes up to two amendment filings per year. 

New Hampshire Business Name Change FAQs

  • If your business uses a name other than the name filed with the Corporation Division, New Hampshire requires that you file a doing-business-as (DBA) or trade name. New Hampshire requires that registered trade names be unique from other business names. However, your trade name is in addition to your registered business name.

  • You can use a registered DBA name while conducting business. However, you must use your business name as registered with the Corporation Division on any documents filed with the state, like your annual report, taxes, or any later amendments.

  • Registering a business name in New Hampshire requires filing paperwork with the Secretary of State, Corporation Division. For a new business, you’ll register your name when you file your formation documents. If you’re changing the name of an existing company, you’ll need to file an amendment to your previously filed formation documents.

  • You can make other amendments on the same form used to change the business name, like changing your registered agent or business mailing address. If you later need to make changes, you can file as many additional amendments as you need.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Change your business name in your state

Start Your LLC