How to Change Your District of Columbia Business Name

Ready to start a business in the District of Columbia? We can help you form your dream business in just minutes. 

Check the availability of your new company name to get started.

Starts at $49 + state fees and only takes 5-10 minutes

Excellent 4.6 out of 5 stars 12,152 reviews 4.6 out of 5 stars
District of Columbia Business Name Change

Change is good, even when it comes to your business name. Maybe you want to take your company in a new direction and feel the name should reflect that change. Or perhaps you’re just ready for something new. Whatever the reason, you must file certain paperwork to change a business name in the District of Columbia. If you skip this important step, your business may be out of compliance with the District and can face fines and other consequences.

To make a business name change in the District of Columbia, you need to file a Certificate of Amendment form for a limited liability company (LLC) or Articles of Amendment for a corporation. With our Amendment Filing Service, we can make these changes for you.

Below, we’ll explain how to change a business name in the District of Columbia. 

How to Get a New Business Name

You need to complete certain tasks if you’re thinking of changing your Washington D.C. business’s name. To change one properly, follow the steps below. 

1. Choose a new business name

Your new business name must meet the following requirements set by District regulations:

When determining if your business name is distinguishable, the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs will not take into account business designations, such as “LLC” or “corporation.” There must be more of a distinction between your new business name and one that’s already in use or reserved. 

You can reserve a business name for 120 days in the District of Columbia. 

2. Gather information for filing your amendment

Whether you’re filing a Certificate of Amendment for Domestic LLC or Articles of Amendment for Domestic For-Profit Corporation, there’s certain information you need to have ready. Here’s a list of information you may need to change a business name in the District of Columbia: 

The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Corporations Division handles all business filings, including business name changes. You can check their website to find more information as well as the different forms you will need to file to complete your name change.

3. File your District of Columbia amendment 

There are several ways to file your Certificate or Articles of Amendment. The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Corporations Division accepts filings by mail, in person, or through an online portal called CorpOnline. You can pay an extra fee for expedited service. Keep in mind that the Corporations Division accepts only credit payments for online filings. 

While there are only three steps to changing your business name, you probably have better things to do than file paperwork. Remember, we can take care of this for you with our Amendment Filing Service, which is also included in our Worry-Free Compliance Service that offers comprehensive legal compliance tracking for your business.

After You Change Your Business Name

Once you change your business name, it’s essential to update any legal business documents, your website, and your marketing materials. Don’t forget to update existing employment contracts. Not only does this avoid confusion, but it shows that you’re thorough with managing your business. 

We Can Help

Now that you know how to change a business name in the District of Columbia, let’s get started. We make it easy for you to select a new business name with our Amendment Filing Service. 

If you’re in the beginning stages of starting a business, let us help with our District of Columbia LLC and Corporation Formation Services. Once you’re set up, we can help you maintain your compliance with the District through our Worry-Free Compliance Service. This service includes two yearly amendment filings and reminders about upcoming reporting deadlines. Together we can help you create the business of your dreams!

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.


  1. What's the difference between a doing-business-as (DBA) name and business name? 

    A business name is an entity’s legal name on file with the state. A DBA name, also known as a trade or fictitious name, is an alternative name for your business. The DBA name is not the official business name and is typically used for marketing purposes.

  2. Do I have to change my business name if I have a DBA name? 

    No. You can keep your original legal entity name while using a DBA name for your business.

  3. How do I register my business name in the District of Columbia? 

    If you’re starting a company, you register your business name when filing the formation documents with the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Corporations Division. If your business is already registered and you want to change the business name, you must file the appropriate amendment form.

  4. How many amendments can I make to my business?

    There are no limits on the number of amendments you can make to your business. Both the LLC and corporation amendment forms even allow you to make multiple amendments at one time. Just be sure you’re completing the amendment form correctly so that it’s effective.

Change your business name in your state

Start New Company Today

Looking for a sign?

This is it.

Create Your District of Columbia (DC) LLC in Minutes