How to Change Your Nevada Business Name

Ready to start a business in Nevada? We can help you form your dream business in just minutes. 

Check the availability of your new company name to get started.

Starts at $49 + state fees and only takes 5-10 minutes

Excellent 4.7 out of 5 stars 13,201 reviews Trustpilot logo
Nevada Business Name Change

As an entrepreneur, there are many reasons why you might want to change your business name. Maybe you’re signing on a new member or expanding your products or services. Changing your name can help revitalize your business and reflect new goals. If your business is registered as a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, you’ll need to file paperwork to officially change your name with the state.

Completing a business name change in Nevada requires most LLCs and corporations to file a Certificate of Amendment with the Nevada Secretary of State. We can help you complete the process quickly and efficiently when you use our Amendment Filing Service.

In the meantime, this page will guide you through three simple steps to help you prepare for how to change a business name in Nevada.

How to Get a New Business Name

To change your business name in Nevada, you’ll need to collect your business documents and complete formal paperwork. To guide you through the preparation, follow these simple steps.

1.) Choose a new business name

Your new business name should fit your business goals. However, your new name needs to follow a few rules before the state will accept it. Your new business name should:

It’s simple to choose an identifier that fits your business. But ensuring your new name is distinguishable is a little more complicated. Usually, this requires a search of all Nevada business names that are registered with the Nevada Secretary of State.

2.) Gather information for filing your amendment

Before you can complete the Certificate of Amendment to Articles of Incorporation or Certificate of Amendment to Articles of Organization, you need to compile the information you submitted on your formation documents. You’ll need to collect these details:

In addition to completing the form, you’ll also need to pay a filing fee. You can find the current fees on the Nevada Secretary of State’s website. 

3.) File your Nevada amendment 

Once you’ve completed the Amendment form, the final step to changing your business name is to file with the Nevada Secretary of State. You may file online via SilverFlume, in person at the Secretary of State’s Office, by fax, or by mail. The Secretary offers 1, 2, and 24-hour expedited processing for an additional fee. To avoid the hassle, let us file for you with our Amendment Filing Service.

After You Change Your Business Name

After you file your official name change, take the time to ensure that your name is consistent across all government agencies, banks, and marketing materials. Here’s a quick list:

Ensuring that your name is used consistently will preserve your business goodwill and prevent future confusion as you move forward under your new name.

We can help

Once you know how to change a business name in Nevada, the name change process doesn’t have to be challenging. Let us guide you through the process with our Amendment Filing Service. If you don’t have an LLC or corporation yet, our business experts will help you with our Nevada LLC and Nevada Corporation Formation Services. With us, your business can be up and running in no time.

As your venture grows, we’ll provide guidance for all the phases of running a business. Try our Worry-Free Compliance Service, which includes up to two amendment filings per year. We’ll keep your documents organized on your business dashboard and send you reminders of upcoming deadlines. We’ve helped all sorts of entrepreneurs start new businesses, and we’ll be here for you, too.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.


  1. What's the difference between a doing-business-as (DBA) name and business name? 

    Nevada registers doing business as (DBA) names at the local level, usually with the county clerk. Also called a fictitious or assumed name, filing a DBA allows the public to search for and identify the business when operating under a name other than its official, registered name. Unlike your business name, a DBA does not need to be distinguishable.

  2. Do I have to change my business name if I have a DBA name? 

    A DBA name is separate from the business name. After you register your DBA name, you can use it in marketing and while conducting business. You must use your registered business name on official documents filed with the state, including annual reports and taxes.

  3. How do I register my business name in Nevada? 

    A new LLC or corporation will register its business name when it files its Articles of Organization or Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State. As an existing business, you’ll file an Amendment to your formation document to register a new name.

  4. How many amendments can I make to my business?

    You can use the same Amendment form if you need to make a change to your registered agent, business purpose, authorized shares, or other amendments. Nevada doesn’t limit the number of amendments you can file.

Change your business name in your state

Start New Company Today

Looking for a sign?

This is it.

Create Your Nevada LLC in Minutes

Start Your LLC Today