How to Change Your Connecticut Business Name

To change your business name in Connecticut, you typically need to file a Certificate of Amendment to change your formation documents. The Connecticut Secretary of State, Business Services Division provides a Certificate of Amendment for LLCs to amend their Certificate of Organization and a Certificate of Amendment for Corporations amending a Certificate of Incorporation. We can help you complete the name change process with our Amendment Filing Service.

Starts at $0 + Connecticut state fees and only takes 5-10 minutes

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 15,616 reviews

As your small business grows, you might find yourself wanting to change your business name. We’ve seen businesses change their name when expanding products or services, changing locations, or adding a new owner. Whatever the reason, if you run a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, you’ll need to file paperwork to alert the state of your name change. Updating your information is critical for keeping your business legally compliant with state laws.

When you use our products and services, you’ll have access to our business experts and the advice you need to keep your business in good standing. Start by reading this page, and we’ll explain how to change a business name in Connecticut. 

How to Get a New Business Name

1.) Choose a new business name

You probably already have an idea for your new business name. However, your name must meet specific requirements before the Secretary of State accepts it. As a general rule, your business name must:

  • Include a word or abbreviation that identifies your legal entity (e.g., LLC, corporation, Inc., Ltd. Liability Co., limited, etc.)
  • Be distinguishable from the other business names registered or reserved with the Connecticut Secretary of State

Adding an identifier to your business name is simple and only requires choosing a word or abbreviation. Ensuring that your name is distinguishable is a little more complicated. It usually starts with a search to verify that your new name is available. We can complete this search for you with our Business Name Checker

2.) Gather information for filing your amendment

To complete the Certificate of Amendment for changing your business name, you’ll need to fill in some information about your business. The information you might need includes:

  • Your name and mailing address (plus phone and email for LLCs)
  • Your current business name, including its designation, as filed with the Secretary of State
  • Information about how the business adopted the amendment or a certification that the business adopted the amendment through the proper voting process
  • Information about any previous amendments
  • The signature of an authorized party

You need to pay a filing fee before the amendment becomes effective. Finally, you can use the same form to make other amendments to your formation documents if needed.

3.) File your Connecticut amendment 

The best way to file your Certificate of Amendment is online through the Business One Stop. When you sign in to your account, you can file electronically or choose to deliver your documents by mail. The Secretary of State also accepts amendments by mail or courier, but the processing may take longer. 

After You Change Your Business Name

Filing the Certificate of Amendment formally changes your name with the state government. However, you’ll also need to update your name with anyone else your business reports to, like:

  • The Connecticut Department of Revenue
  • Your bank (for your business checking accounts and loans)
  • Any third-party vendors you have contracts with
  • Marketing materials like websites, letterheads, business cards, and logos

Ensuring your name is consistent across all business areas is vital to avoiding a poor public image or a delinquent filing.

We can help

At ZenBusiness, we help entrepreneurs through all stages of managing their business. If you need guidance on how to change a business name in Connecticut, we simplify the process with our Amendment Filing Service. If you need to register your business with the Secretary of State, we offer Business Formation Services for a new Connecticut LLC or corporation. We also provide our Worry-Free Compliance Service to help keep your documents organized and update you on approaching deadlines. 

Connecticut Business Name Change FAQs

  • When you use a name other than the business’s legal name, you will file a doing-business-as name with the town clerk in the place where your business operates. A doing-business-as name is also called a trade name, assumed name, fictitious name, or DBA. While conducting business, you can use your trade name, but you must use your official, registered business name when paying taxes, applying for business licenses, or filing annual reports.

  • If you want to change the business’s official name that it uses when filing compliance documents, you must change your business name using a Certificate of Amendment. Filing a DBA name merely allows the public to search for and identify the business owners.

  • You file a registration with the Secretary of State, Business Services Division, to register your business name.

  • You can file as many amendments as you need. A Connecticut LLC can edit any part of the original Certificate of Organization, including your business name, business address, the member’s information, etc. A Connecticut corporation can amend the limited information on its Certificate of Incorporation, such as the registered agent information, the business name, and the shares for a stock corporation.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Change your business name in your state

Start Your LLC