Wondering what to say in your business voicemail greetings? Read on to learn how to record a good voicemail that is professional (or funny) to encourage callers to leave a message.
The last few years have seen a huge rise in the use of automated voicemails and auto-attendant greetings. This has been especially true for the business sector, where professionals should record friendly and polite voicemails to greet their customer callers.
What’s more, according to WP Beginner, “more than 88% of local searches on mobile devices end up in a phone call,” so you don’t want to be caught off guard when a customer calls!
If you’re an entrepreneur or small business owner who’s debating the benefits of getting a voicemail greeting, keep reading!
The Importance of Business Voicemail Greetings
A professional and personable voicemail greeting is beneficial for several reasons. Read ahead to find out what these are.
- It’s true that voicemail is often the first Point of Contact (POC) that an existing or potential customer has with your brand or business. Good business rules dictate that you should provide customers with as many authentic and standard POCs as possible. This eventually leads them to build a positive image of your brand and/or business.
- Not only that, but your voicemail greeting is your chance to make a great first impression on a new client. According to Aja Frost at Hubspot, a professional voicemail greeting “boosts your credibility, makes you seem more competent, and encourages whoever’s listening to it to continue the relationship.” Remember that it’s nearly impossible to overcome a terrible first impression. Therefore, a cheery yet professional voicemail greeting is an essential component of any business.
- A well-composed voicemail will lead to you retaining customers for longer. They won’t have to contend with cold-calling and having no one pick up the phone. Customers are often put off by this, so having a system that will take all their calls will ensure they always call back.
- What’s more, your customers will leave recorded messages. This means you can get back to them with well-thought-out solutions instead of having to answer difficult questions on the spot, as you would during a phone call.
- Moreover, the system is extremely convenient for you as a business owner. You won’t have to sit by the phone to take calls. Rather, you can listen to your customers’ voicemails anytime, anywhere. This adds much-needed flexibility to your already busy schedule!
Keep in mind that to enjoy the full benefits of your professional greeting system, you must routinely check and delete messages. If your voicemail fills up, you won’t be able to receive new messages, meaning your customers will become frustrated.
Business Voicemail Greetings: Example Scripts
Here are some great examples of professional voicemail greetings that you can use in your business!
The Standard Business Greeting
“Hi there! You’ve reached [XYZ Company]. We are unable to take your call at the moment, but we want to hear what you have to say. Please leave your full name, contact details and reason for reaching out, and one of our staff members will get in touch with you within 24 hours. Thanks!”
The Detailed Voicemail Company Greeting
“Hi, you’ve reached [XYZ Company]. We can’t take your call right now but feel free to call back during business hours from [hour] to [hour], Monday through Friday. In case of an urgent query, you can contact us through our website [URL] and access our live chat.
You may also email us at [email]. If you would like one of our team members to call you back, please leave your full name, contact info and number after the beep. Good to hear from you!”
Short Business Voicemail Greetings
You might not be the kind of person who wants customers to go through long voicemails. If that sounds like you, here are a couple of short and sweet voicemail greetings that you can use to get your message across!
“Hi, this is [name]. I’m either on another call or am away from my desk. Please leave your name, contact details, number and your reason for reaching out and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for calling.”
Here’s another short voicemail greeting you can record:
“Hey there! This is [name] at [XYZ company]. Thank you for calling. I can’t take your call right now but if you leave your name, contact info and reason for calling, I’ll call you back right away. Take care and speak with you soon!”
The Professional Voicemail Greeting
“Hello, you’ve reached the Marketing Department at [XYZ Company]. All of our team members are currently working with other clients to [insert goal] and are unable to take your call.
Your call is important to us and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please leave your full name, contact details, phone number, and availability after the beep and we will call you back straight away. Thank you!”
Funny Voicemail Greetings
Read below for a couple of funny greetings you can use.
“Hello, you’ve reached the special agent Bond. James Bond. Okay okay, it’s actually [last name]. I’m currently away saving the world on a top-secret mission but I will get back to you as soon as possible. Please leave your name, contact info, number, and availability and I’ll call back as soon as I’m done helping M16. Have a great day. [last name] out!”
Here’s another funny one for those times you really want to lighten the business mood:
“Hey, this is [your name] over at [XYZ company]. So anyway I’m about to give in my resignation right now. Please don’t call here again. Just kidding!
I love my job because [XYZ company] is the best place to work at. Please leave your full name, contact info, number and other details and I’ll call back within 24 hours! Thanks a bunch.”
Vacation Voicemail Greetings
Sometimes, you need to step away from work and live a little! This is perfectly okay, but make sure you leave a well-recorded voicemail greeting to keep your customers happy and content. Read these two examples of professional vacation greetings.
“Hi, you’ve called [name] at [XYZ company]. I’m currently busy [hiking through a rainforest, exploring China, climbing Mount Peru etc.] and so I can’t take your call right now. I won’t be back in the office until [date] and I look forward to hearing from you then.
Please leave your contact info, full name, and other details and I’ll call you back once I’m back in the [city/country/area]. Ciao for now!”
Here’s another example of a professional vacation greeting:
“Hey there, this is [name]. You’ve reached [XYZ company]. Unfortunately, I’m currently away from the office and am traveling in [place]. I won’t be back in the office until [date] and I will get in touch with you then.
Please leave your full name, contact details and reason for calling and I will call you back as soon as I’m back. Thanks for calling!”
The Holiday Greeting for Businesses
“Hey! You’ve reached us here at [XYZ company]. All our team is currently out of the office for the holidays. We’ll be back to work on [date] well-fed and therefore eager to speak with you!
We look forward to serving you so please leave your contact info, details and reason for calling after the beep. We will call you right back!
Happy holidays from all of us here at [XYZ company]. Take care!”
>Check out these great Christmas voice mail message ideas from the folks at Smart on Hold
It’s imperative for any business owner and/or entrepreneur to have a professional, snappy and appropriate voicemail greeting for their business. Automated greetings will only help current customers stay in touch with you and you will create a great first impression on potential clients.
Take the time to listen to calls, call back if necessary, use your cell phone when you’re out of town, and take care of anything actionable listed in the messages instead of watching your mailbox fill in. This kind of attention to detail can go a long way towards building a good reputation and image for the business. Good luck!
- Types Of Business Insurance That Your Startup Business Might Need Among the many challenges startups face, running out of money at a critical time is…
- Business Insurance Basics Most Small Business Owners Don’t KnowInsurance often seems like a complicated topic, especially for a new business owner. However, at…
- The Many Advantages of Business Cards for your BusinessThere are many tools you need when you start your business. One of the first…
- Business Tips: How Cleanliness Helps Your BusinessManaging a business requires a set of skills that you may or may not have…