How to Amend a Vermont Articles of Incorporation

Unlock growth opportunities for your Vermont business by amending your Articles of Incorporation. Explore our comprehensive guide for valuable insights and a seamless process, ensuring your business stays compliant and thriving.

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 16,127 reviews

As with all things, changes will almost certainly arise at some point in the course of running your business. When changes to the Articles of Incorporation for your Vermont corporation do become necessary, it’s important to make your updates properly according to Vermont law. Failure to do so can result in negative consequences for your business. 

We can help you navigate the Vermont Certificate of Incorporation Amendment process. Use our guide below to learn more about how to file an amendment to a corporation in Vermont and see how we can help.

What are Vermont Articles of Incorporation? 

To formally start your business, you must first file the Articles of Incorporation (AOI) for your Vermont corporation with the Secretary of State. The AOI will serve as the foundation for your business and must include important information about your corporation such as: 

  • Corporate name
  • Classes and number of shares the corporation is authorized to issue
  • Street address of the corporation’s initial registered office
  • Name of the corporation’s initial registered agent
  • Name and address of each incorporator

Other items, such as the business purpose of the corporation or the names and addresses of the initial members of the board of directors, may also be included in the Articles of Incorporation but aren’t required. 

Because the Articles of Incorporation are such an important and foundational document for your business, it’s important to complete and submit them properly. If you’re not sure where to begin, you can use our Vermont corporation formation services to help you get started, and we can complete the Articles of Incorporation for you.

Step 1: Determine whether you need to change your Vermont Articles of Incorporation

Due to the importance of the information included in the Articles of Incorporation, it’s imperative that you keep the Articles of Incorporation current and up to date. Sometimes, you might need to change information about your business such as the business name, address, or registered agent. When this happens, you need to update the state of any such changes. Doing so is crucial for: 

  • Public information contact purposes
  • Accurate service of process of important legal notices 
  • Compliance and auditing purposes

Most importantly, doing so is necessary to stay legally compliant with the State of Vermont. 

Make sure to amend your Vermont Articles of Incorporation promptly. Failure to do so can lead to negative consequences for your business. One primary example includes the inability to obtain a Certificate of Good Standing for your corporation. 

A Certificate of Good Standing, also known as a certificate of existence, status, or authorization, is an important legal document. Specifically, it certifies that a business is compliant with all legal requirements to operate and conduct business within the state. 

In many cases, a Certificate of Good Standing is necessary to: 

  • Apply for loans and funding for your business
  • Open bank accounts
  • Enter into contracts with certain entities

Thus, without a Certificate of Good Standing, you may stifle your business growth potential and ability to obtain financing. 

Step 2: Review requirements for your Vermont amendment

A Vermont corporation may amend its Articles of Incorporation at any time by filing Articles of Amendment. The Articles of Amendment are submitted to the Secretary of State. 

Articles of Amendment must be filed whenever you add, change, or delete a provision from the initial Articles of Incorporation. Common changes include amendments to: 

  • Corporate name
  • Principal business address
  • Classification or number of issued shares of stock
  • Registered agent information

Regardless of what changes you make, what’s most important is that you file your Articles of Amendment to update the state and public accordingly. 

Step 3: Gather supporting documentation for your Vermont amendment

It’s important to note that all amendments must be properly approved. Sometimes, an amendment will be approved by the incorporators or the board of directors without shareholder action. In other cases, shareholders will approve an amendment. 

Regardless of the method of approval, it’s always a good idea to attach supporting documentation to verify that the corporation approved the amendment according to the proper procedures. Such supporting documents might include meeting minutes, corporation voting procedures, or voting results. 

Navigating the incorporation and amendment processes can be complicated. Keeping up with all the dates and deadlines on your plate can be overwhelming. 

Don’t feel like you have to handle everything on your own. Let us take some of the work off of your already busy plate. Use our Worry-Free compliance service, Vermont registered agent service, and amendment services to see how we can help you start, manage, and grow your Vermont corporation today. 

Let Us Help Keep Your Vermont LLC State Compliant

Keeping the state and public updated on changes to your Articles of Incorporation is crucial to the future success of your business. Let us help you keep your business from falling out of compliance. 

With our Worry-Free Compliance Service, which includes up to two yearly amendments, you can focus on running your business while we help you stay on track and state-compliant.

Vermont Amendment FAQs

  • Any Vermont corporation that makes changes to the information in its Articles of Incorporation needs to file Articles of Amendment. Failure to do so can result in serious penalties for your business.

  • Because filing fees are subject to change, it’s important to check periodically for the most updated fee schedule. You can check with the Secretary of State online for the most current business filing fees.

  • Any representative of the corporation may file the Articles of Amendment so long as all the requisite information is included and the amendment is properly approved.

  • You may file the Articles of Amendment for your corporation online or by mail to the Vermont Secretary of State.

  • No, the Articles of Amendment and annual report are separate and distinct legal documents. The Articles of Incorporation for your Vermont corporation need to be filed only when changes arise. Conversely, your corporation has to file an annual report each year regardless of whether changes have been made.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Get Incorporated in Vermont Today!