How to Amend a Maine Articles of Incorporation

Elevate your business in Maine through Articles of Incorporation amendments—explore our guide for expert advice and actionable steps, ensuring your company’s adaptability and sustained success.

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 15,616 reviews

Throughout the life of your business, things are bound to change. But when certain changes occur within a Maine corporation, you may need to file Articles of Amendment for your Maine Articles of Incorporation. While this may seem confusing, we’re here to help. Below is a guide on how to file an amendment to a corporation in Maine, and how we can help. 

Need to form your corporation first? Head over to our Maine incorporation page for more information.

What are Maine Articles of Incorporation?

When you’re ready to establish a corporation, you must file Articles of Incorporation (AOI) with the state. This important document is sent to the Secretary of State, Division of Corporations, USCC and Commissions, showing your intent to incorporate a business.

Articles of Incorporation contains basic information about the corporation, including:

  • The business name
  • Contact information of the commercial clerk
  • Number of authorized shares
  • Number of directors, if any

A commercial clerk is more commonly known as a registered agent in other states, but the role is the same. If your corporation is in need of a commercial clerk, check out our Maine registered agent services

Step 1: Determine whether you need to change your Maine AOI

You must file an AOI with the Secretary of State to establish your corporation and conduct business. If any of the information on the AOI changes, or if you need to add information to the AOI, inform the state through Maine Articles of Amendment. The Secretary of State’s office provides an amendment form.

These changes must be recorded for a variety of reasons. First, having an up-to-date AOI is part of being compliant with Maine’s corporation laws. Second, if your corporation is subject to a lawsuit and must receive service of process, the correct commercial clerk needs to be on file. Lastly, the information in your AOI is public, so for contact purposes, it must be accurate.

Failing to make the necessary amendments to your business’s AOI will stop the state from issuing you a Maine Certificate of Good Standing (CGS). You may need a CGS to conduct business activities like opening a bank account, applying for a loan, or entering into an agreement with a third party. Without a CGS, you may stifle your business’s growth.

We can help you maintain your good standing. With our Worry-Free Compliance service, we send you reminders about important compliance and filing requirements and help you with up to two amendments per year. For assistance just with amending your AOI, we offer amendment filing services too.

Step 2: File your Maine Articles of Amendment

Filing Maine Articles of Amendment when appropriate is part of maintaining good standing with the state.

What changes need to be reported?

If you need to change, update, or add to any information in the original AOI, file Articles of Amendment with the Secretary of State.

Do I need to attach supporting documents?

Even if there is no requirement, attach specific supporting documentation for the changes you want to make. For example, you may need to include a record of the vote approving the amendment.

Step 3: Change your Maine commercial clerk with a separate form (if necessary)

To change the commercial clerk’s address or designate a new commercial clerk, you can file a separate document. You don’t need to file an amendment to the AOI for this.

Let us take some of the worry out of keeping up with the compliance requirements. With our Worry-Free Compliance service, we can help you stay on top of things.

Rely on our services to keep your business compliant

Staying legally compliant is vital to your business’s success. Part of that is maintaining accurate information with the state and filing amendments to your AOI if necessary.

We can help by providing the following services that may help you feel a bit more in control of the business filings you have to keep track of:

  • Corporate formation service
  • Worry-Free Compliance service
  • Registered agent service 
  • Amendment service

We can help you start your corporation, keep your current business on track, or make some necessary changes. Get the worry-free and expert services you need to make your business dreams a reality.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

Maine Amendment FAQs

  • Domestic corporations in Maine, including business corporations and non-profit corporations, need to file an Amendment to Certificate of Incorporation (or Articles of Amendment). Domestic limited liability companies (LLCs) in Maine must also file Articles of Amendment.

  • The filing fee for an amendment can change from time to time, so it’s best to look at the Maine Secretary of State for the most accurate fee schedule.

  • Anyone can file the Main corporation amendment, but one of the following people must sign the document:

    • The chair of the board of directors, the president, or another officer
    • An incorporator, if no directors have been selected yet
    • A fiduciary, if the corporation is in the hands of such person
    • The clerk of the corporation

    The person signing must include their capacity, but the document doesn’t need to be notarized.

  • All amendments must be filed with the Maine Secretary of State’s office.

  • No. A Maine annual report includes information about the corporation’s current officer, directors, their addresses, and the financial status of the business. All Maine corporations must file an annual report with the Secretary of State to maintain good standing.

    A corporation amendment is a document used to make changes or additions to a corporation’s original AOI.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Get Incorporated in Maine Today!