How to Amend a New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation

Elevate the legal standing and operational flexibility of your New Hampshire business with essential insights on why amending your Articles of Incorporation is crucial—explore the detailed guide below to navigate the process seamlessly and enhance your company’s foundation.

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 16,131 reviews

When making changes to your New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation (AOI), it’s important to follow the state’s rules and requirements. Failure to do so can result in adverse impacts on your business and its potential. 

Don’t know where to begin? Check out our guide to learn more about how to file an amendment to a corporation in New Hampshire and see how we can help. 

What are New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation? 

The Articles of Incorporation for your New Hampshire corporation will serve as the foundation for your business. In fact, you must file your Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State before you can legally transact business within the State of New Hampshire. 

New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation must include: 

  • A corporate name
  • The number of shares the corporation is authorized to issue
  • A registered agent and office address within the State of New Hampshire
  • The name and address of each incorporator

Other items, such as a brief description of the type of business, may also be listed but aren’t required. 

Due to the significance of the Articles of Incorporation, it’s important to complete and submit them properly. Need assistance with the process? You can use our New Hampshire corporation formation services to help you get started, and we can complete the Articles of Incorporation for you.

Step 1: Determine if you need to change your New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation

New Hampshire corporations are required by the State of New Hampshire to amend their Articles of Incorporation when changes are made. Doing so is necessary to keep the business legally in operation. 

Additionally, making timely and accurate amendments is important for: 

  • Public information contact purposes
  • Accurate service of process of important legal notices 
  • Compliance and auditing purposes

While it may seem tedious to amend your Articles of Incorporation, doing so is nevertheless crucial to the success of your business. 

Failure to amend your New Hampshire Articles of Incorporation can lead to penalties for your corporation. For example, if your Articles of Incorporation aren’t current and up to date, your corporation can’t get a Certificate of Good Standing from the state. 

This may not seem like much of a penalty. However, the reality is that the inability to obtain a Certificate of Good Standing can lead to further roadblocks and penalties for your business moving forward. 

Often, a Certificate of Good Standing may be needed to enter into business contracts, open business bank accounts, apply for loans, and to participate in many other crucial business transactions. The failure to obtain a Certificate of Good Standing can limit your corporation’s potential growth and ability to raise capital and finances in the future. Thus, you will want to put amending your Articles of Incorporation at the top of your priority list when changes do arise. 

Step 2: Keep your New Hampshire Corporation compliant by filing Articles of Amendment

To amend the Articles of Incorporation for your New Hampshire corporation, you will need to file Articles of Amendment. Once completed, you must then file the Articles of Amendment with the New Hampshire Secretary of State.

Any time there are alterations or additions to the Articles of Incorporation that were initially filed, such changes must be reported to the state. Common changes that corporations make in their Articles of Amendment include: 

  • The name of the corporation
  • Business address
  • Classification or number of issued shares of stock

Note, however, that there are certain changes that must be reported in separate filings. For example, changes to the registered agent or office for your corporation must be updated by filing a Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent. 

Step 3: Attach supporting documentation for changes

Additionally, it’s important to be as specific as possible when filing your Articles of Amendment. Thus, even when not required to do so, it’s always a good idea to include attachments and supporting documents along with your Articles of Amendment filing. Documentation such as voting records and procedures can provide verification that the amendments were formally approved by the corporation and that the proper procedures were followed. 

Managing your business and staying up to date with all of your various requirements and deadlines can be stressful and overwhelming at times. We can help make things easier for you with our Worry-Free Compliance, registered agent, and amendment services. See how we can help you start, manage, and grow your New Hampshire corporation today. 

Let us help you stay compliant 

Every New Hampshire corporation has to keep the state updated when it makes changes to its Articles of Incorporation. But that doesn’t mean doing so is always simple or intuitive. 

With so much on your plate already, it’s easy to fall behind on filing an amendment when changes to your Articles of Incorporation arise. Don’t let your business fall out of compliance with the state. Use our Worry-Free Compliance service, which includes up to two yearly amendments, and let us take some of the stress off your shoulders. That way you can get back to doing what you do best — running your business.

New Hampshire Amendment FAQs

  • All New Hampshire corporations, including for-profit and nonprofit corporations, must file Articles of Amendment when changes are made to the initial Articles of Incorporation.

  • Filing fees can always change, so be sure to check in periodically with the New Hampshire Secretary of State for the most updated fee information.

  • The Articles of Amendment must be signed by either the chairman of the board of directors, the president, or another officer of the corporation.

  • The Articles of Amendment for your corporation may be filed online or by mail with the New Hampshire Department of State, Corporation Division.

  • No, the Articles of Amendment for your New Hampshire corporation aren’t the same as an annual report. An annual report must be filed each year regardless of whether changes have been made. Articles of Amendment, on the other hand, need to be filed only when there are updates to the corporation’s Articles of Incorporation.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Get Incorporated in New Hampshire Today!