How to Amend a Wisconsin Articles of Incorporation

Discover growth strategies for your Wisconsin business through Articles of Incorporation amendments. Explore our guide for a seamless process and legal compliance.

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 15,587 reviews

Forming your Wisconsin business is one thing, but keeping it state-compliant is one of the keys to its success. When certain changes occur within a Wisconsin corporation, you must document those changes by filing an amendment to your Wisconsin Articles of Incorporation. Here, we’ll explain how to file an amendment to a corporation in Wisconsin and show you how we can help.

What are Wisconsin Articles of Incorporation?

Articles of Incorporation are the formation documents for corporations in Wisconsin. It’s what you file with the state to establish your corporation and what authorizes you to do business. Articles of Incorporation include important information about the corporation, such as:

  • Corporation name
  • Number of shares authorized to issue
  • Name of initial registered agent
  • Street address of the initial registered office
  • Name and address of each incorporator
  • Name of the person who drafted the document
  • Email or mail address where the copy of the document is to be sent upon approval

There’s space to add additional provisions if necessary or desired. Articles of Incorporation are filed with the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, Division of Corporate & Consumer Services. 

Still at the starting point? We can help you form your corporation online today with our Wisconsin corporate formation service, and we also offer a Wisconsin registered agent service that meets state requirements. With our low-cost services and expert support, we have what you need to establish your corporation and maintain compliance with state and federal law. 

Step 1: Determine whether you need to change your Wisconsin Articles of Incorporation

As mentioned above, Articles of Incorporation are necessary to make your business legal. If the information within the articles changes, is outdated, or you want to add additional provisions, the state requires you to inform them. You might be wondering why. For starters, the information in the articles is public record, so if someone needs to communicate with the corporation, they need updated contact information. Second, in the unfortunate event that the corporation becomes party to a lawsuit, the corporation’s registered agent is the one who will receive service of process (i.e., the legal paperwork). For this very important reason, the registered agent’s name and address must be current. Lastly, Wisconsin law requires corporations to keep vital information up to date for compliance and auditing purposes. 

If the corporation’s Articles of Incorporation aren’t current, you may lose your “good standing” status. This can severely impact the corporation’s growth potential because many business activities require the corporation to have good standing with the state. For example, financial institutions and banks typically want to see that the corporation is up to date on all filings before lending money to the entity. 

The Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) will provide your corporation’s status over the phone, or you can look it up online using the Corporation Registration Information System (CRIS). There’s also the option to obtain written confirmation of the corporation’s status by requesting a Certificate of Status either online, by mail, or in person. 

Step 2: Review requirements for your Wisconsin amendment

When making changes or additions to the original Articles of Incorporation, you need to file Articles of Amendment with the DFI. You can file it online, in person, or by mail. To complete the form, you need the following information:

  • Name of the corporation (both current and proposed)
  • Name of registered agent
  • Address of registered office
  • Number of shares of stock authorized
  • Name of the document drafter
  • Incorporator’s signature

You have to pay the filing fee at the time of submission. Check the filing fee schedule for the most up-to-date fee amount. 

Be sure to include supporting documentation for any changes made. You want to be as specific as possible when filing a Wisconsin Articles of Incorporation amendment

Step 3: Complete a Wisconsin Change of Registered Agent form (if necessary)

To change the registered agent or registered office, you can either make the change when filing an annual report or submit a separate form. 

We can make all of these filings easier to handle. We offer an amendment filing service for help getting the paperwork complete and in the hands of the DFI. 

If you need someone to keep track of all the business filings and reporting requirements, we’ve got you covered. With our Worry-Free Compliance service, we send you reminders of upcoming reporting deadlines and will file two amendments per year for your corporation (you only need to pay the filing fee). If you’re currently not in good standing with the state, we’ll come up with a plan to regain your status and get you back to business.  

Let us make your life easier

Keeping your corporation’s Articles of Organization is part of being legally compliant with the state. We have the resources and experts available to help you with this aspect of managing a corporation. Contact us to learn more about what we have to offer and how we can support your business. 

Wisconsin Amendment FAQs

  • All corporation types in Wisconsin have to file amendments to their Articles of Incorporation. This includes domestic, foreign (out-of-state), stock, and nonstock corporations.

  • Since filing fees are subject to change, it’s best to check the fee schedule for the most current fee information.

  • Anyone can file the actual document. However, only authorized persons such as the president, secretary, or other officer can execute the amendment.

  • All corporate filings are sent to the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, Division of Corporate & Consumer Services.

  • No. An amendment is when you change the actual Articles of Incorporation, which includes adding provisions and changing the corporation’s name. You only file amendments when you make changes. An annual report is filed every year. In annual reports you can confirm (and change) certain details about the corporation, such as the registered agent’s name, registered address, principal address, and contact information for officers and directors.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Get Incorporated in Wisconsin Today!