Change Registered Agent in Hawaii

Read our guide about what changing a Hawaii Registered Agent entails and see why you should use our experts to do it for you.

Get a Hawaii LLC formation online and rely on us to serve as your registered agent

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 15,394 reviews

There are a number of reasons you might need to change your Hawaii LLC’s registered agent. Maybe your designated registered agent moved out of state, left the company, or no longer wants the responsibility. Maybe you had assigned the job to yourself, and you no longer want your address on public record. Maybe (hopefully) your business has expanded so much that you no longer have time to handle the registered agent responsibilities.

Whatever your reason may be, changing a registered agent in Hawaii might seem like a daunting task, with a mountain of paperwork and legal proceedings involved. However it’s actually quite simple, and this guide will help make the process quick and painless.

What the State of Hawaii Says about changing a Registered Agent

The state of Hawaii has certain requirements for changing your LLC’s registered agent. Any business entity operating in the state is allowed to change its registered agent by filing a Form X-7: Statement of Change of Registered Agent by Entity either by mail, in person, or online.

The Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) provides little information on registered agents outside of the forms themselves, but the state’s “Registered Agents Act” sheds a little light on the subject.

Who can be a Hawaii Registered Agent

You can’t pick just anyone to be a registered agent for your LLC. The state of Hawaii puts certain restrictions on who can serve as one. If you’re choosing or changing your registered agent, keep these requirements in mind. The registered agent in Hawaii must:

  • Be an individual Hawaii resident or a business entity located in Hawaii
  • Have a Hawaii street address (P.O. boxes are not allowed)

* If your registered agent is a foreign business entity, it must be authorized to transact business in Hawaii

How to Change Your Hawaii Registered Agent

In order to change your registered agent in Hawaii, you’ll need to file a Form X-7: “Statement of Change of Registered Agent by Entity” with the DCCA. This form is available in paper or online.

If you’re thinking “it might be nice to do this without leaving my desk,” then you’ll want the online route. The DCCA’s Hawai‘i Business Express site allows you to file numerous forms electronically. On the right side of the page, select “Use QuickFile.” From there, you can create an account and file your X-7.

But if you prefer trusty postal mail, that’s an option too. Complete your Form X-7 by using the fillable electronic form or by printing it and filling it out with black ink (the form’s second page has instructions for its completion). Then, mail it to:

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

Business Registration Division

P.O. Box 40

Honolulu, Hawaii 96810

Or, if you’re local to Honolulu, you can hand deliver your form to:

335 Merchant Street

Honolulu, Hawaii 96810

You also have the option to fax your form to (808) 586-2733.

No matter how you submit it, you’ll need to include a $25 fee, payable by check (made out to “Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs”) or credit card (for online filers). DCCA processing typically takes five business days, but you can pay an additional $25 for 1-3 day expedited processing.

In some states, LLCs can change their registered agent by amending their Articles of Organization or annual report, but not in Hawaii. You must file an electronic or paper Form X-7.

If you’re too busy, or if you’d feel more comfortable letting someone else take the reins, you have the option of hiring a company or individual to file your paperwork for you. It’s a great way to save time and stress.

Submit your form? Pay your fee? Then you’re all set! You should see your new registered agent on record soon.

Hawaii Department of Commerce Contact Information

Mailing Address:
PO Box 40
Honolulu, HI 96810
Physical Address:
335 Merchant St., Room 201
Honolulu, HI 96813

Consider a Registered Agent Service

Think of your registered agent as a mediator between you and the state of Hawaii, the person or business entity that handles some of your most important paperwork.

In case you thought the registered agent was just a formality, look at the documents they handle:

  • service of process notices
  • tax information
  • lawsuits
  • and other Secretary of State correspondence.

A lot of important stuff. Which is why a reliable registered agent is essential to every Hawaii business owner.

By handling high-priority and sensitive documents on your behalf, your registered agent takes care of your communications with the state, so you can spend more time building your business.

Plus, if you operate a Hawaii small business from out of state, a trustworthy registered agent is especially important, as the state requires a local contact for your LLC. Having this contact ensures your company will receive and respond to time-sensitive documents, so you won’t miss filings and get hit with penalties.

If you’re unsure where to find a good Hawaii registered agent, consider using a registered agent service. These companies provide you with a reliable, professional registered agent so you can have peace of mind knowing you won’t ever miss a filing, tax deadline, or state correspondence.

Sure, you can jump online, search “registered agent service,” and get a ton of results. But the truth is that not all of these services are trustworthy. So, we’ve done some research for you. If you want to know you’re getting a top-quality registered agent, take a look at our comparison guide on the top registered agent services. Many of these providers can also form an LLC for you if you’re needing a fresh start. ZenBusiness and Northwest are two very well known options.

Need to Resign your Hawaii Registered Agent?

There are numerous reasons you might need to give up your Hawaii registered agent role, but only one way to resign.

Registered agents play an important role in the life of an LLC, handling sensitive legal and tax documents, so it’s essential that agents follow proper resignation procedures. Otherwise, you could leave your company with unplanned fines or penalties, and you could be individually liable.

Fortunately, for Hawaii LLCs it is easy.

Follow these steps and the hardest part of your resignation won’t be the process itself, it’ll be saying “so long” to your former business.

Notifying the Hawaii LLC

Under Hawaii state law, you aren’t obligated to inform your LLC before submitting your resignation to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. You are required to send a letter or email of resignation immediately after officially resigning with the state (according to Hawaii’s Revised Statutes §425R-10).

However, for the sake of a smooth transition, it’s a good idea to speak with your LLC prior to formally resigning. This way, they have time to establish a plan for changing their registered agent and avoiding potential penalties.

Submitting Your Resignation

Soon you’ll be moving on to a new business, a new project, or something else entirely. But first, you have to send a formal resignation to the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. Here’s how.

You only need one form – the “Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent” – and doesn’t take much time to complete. It must be either typewritten (using a PDF editor like Adobe Acrobat) or handwritten in black ink. The only information you’ll need is:

  • The entity type (LLC)
  • The LLC name
  • The state/country where the LLC was formed
  • Your name
  • The name and address of the LLC representative to whom you’ll mail/email your resignation notice.
  • Date
  • Your signature

That’s all there is to it. But don’t send it off quite yet. The Statement of Resignation must be submitted with a $25 fee per entity that you serve. So, include a check made out to “Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs,” and mail your form to:

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

Business Registration Division

P.O. Box 40

Honolulu, Hawaii 96810

And don’t forget that you need to send an official notice to your LLC, even if you already spoke with them informally about your resignation.

Standard processing time is five business days, although you can pay an additional $25 fee for expedited processing (1-3 business days). Once your resignation is processed, you will remain on file as the LLC’s registered agent for 31 days, unless the company appoints your replacement sooner.

Handing off Your Responsibilities

When you put down your registered agent responsibilities, someone else has to pick them up, or your LLC will lose its good standing with the state. Help your LLC keep its momentum by carefully planning your transition.

This starts with finding a successor who’s ready to take over right away. Even a small gap in registered agent coverage can result in severe penalties. Any Hawaii business entity that goes without a valid registered agent for more than 60 days can be administratively dissolved by the state. Helping your LLC come up with a transition plan beforehand will allow them to avoid dissolution and other penalties.

Once you’ve nominated a replacement, confirm that they meet Hawaii’s registered agent requirements. They must:

  • Be an individual or corporation that resides in Hawaii
  • Have a physical Hawaii address (P.O. boxes aren’t allowed)
  • Have a mailing address in Hawaii
  • Be available during general business hours

Business owners are allowed to serve as registered agent for their own LLCs. However, sometimes it’s easiest to have a professional take over responsibilities.

We recommend using a registered agent service, which can take over registered agent duties, freeing up more time for the LLC’s managers to focus on running the business.

Finishing Up

You do a lot for your Hawaii LLC. You’re essentially the shield that protects it from fines, the filter that catches important documents, the conductor that keeps it on track with compliance.

Because you play such an important role, it’s crucial that you follow the resignation procedures exactly — and potentially provide a replacement agent for the business. Otherwise, you might find yourself and your LLC in hot water.

Follow this guide and you’ll be totally fine. Soon, you’ll be on to your next project, whether that’s starting a new business in Hawaii or something completely different.

If you need a fresh start and would like to form a brand new LLC, there are plenty of services that can take care of this for you. ZenBusiness and LegalZoom are two very popular options.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Change Registered Agent in all 50 States

We outline How to Change a Registered Agent in all 50 states. View all of our guides below.

Change Your Hawaii Registered Agent