Bakery Licenses and Permits: What to Know

Are you passionate about baking and dreaming of starting your own bakery? Discover the essential licenses and permits you need to turn your baking passion into a successful business.

Starts at $0 + state fees and only takes 5-10 minutes

Excellent 4.8 out of 5 stars 16,056 reviews

Start Your Bakery!

Are you dreaming of starting your own bakery? Baking delicious treats and sharing them with the world is an exciting venture. However, before you can turn your baking passion into a thriving business, it’s important to understand license and permit requirements for bakeries. In this article, we’ll walk you through many of the potential licenses and permits you may need to start your bakery.

What licenses are needed to start a bakery?

Every business is different, and bakeries are no exception. Odds are, most bakeries will need more licenses and permits than the average start-up, and they can vary quite a bit. That’s because states have different license requirements, and so do cities and counties.

For the rest of this guide, we’ll walk you through many of the potential licenses a bakery might need. But as you read, keep in mind that the exact requirements in your location may vary. The costs for these licenses vary significantly, too. 

General Business License

In many states, counties, and cities, obtaining a general business license is a necessary first step for starting any business, including bakeries. This license allows you to operate legally within your jurisdiction. However, it’s important to note that specific requirements may vary depending on your location.

For example, many states don’t have a statewide general business license, but their cities and counties do. In those states, you’d get a general business license from your local government when you start. Then, if you ever open additional locations, you’d probably be expected to get additional licenses for the new spot, especially if it’s in another town.

Kitchen Health and Safety Inspection

To ensure the safety and cleanliness of your bakery, a kitchen health and safety inspection is often required. Health inspectors will assess your kitchen’s equipment, food storage, handling practices, and overall cleanliness to ensure compliance with health regulations. It’s crucial to maintain a clean and organized kitchen to provide safe and high-quality baked goods to your customers.

Food Service License

Since bakeries involve preparing and serving food, a food service license is typically required. This license helps ensure that your bakery meets the necessary health and safety standards for food preparation and handling. It involves inspections to verify that your bakery follows proper food handling practices, maintains appropriate sanitation levels, and meets other regulations set by health departments. Obtaining a food service license demonstrates your commitment to providing safe and hygienic baked goods.

Food Handler’s License

As a bakery owner, it’s important to have proper knowledge of safe food handling practices. Some states may require you and your employees to obtain a food handler’s license, which involves completing a training course on food safety. This license helps ensure that you understand essential food safety principles, such as proper handwashing, preventing cross-contamination, and storing food at appropriate temperatures. Having a food handler’s license enhances your credibility and assures customers that your bakery follows best practices in food handling.

Cottage Food Laws

Cottage food laws vary by state but generally allow home-based bakeries to operate without a commercial kitchen. These laws typically have restrictions on the types of products you can sell and the annual revenue you can generate. If you plan to start a home bakery, researching and understanding your state’s cottage food laws is crucial. These laws provide an opportunity for aspiring bakers (or those who just want to keep things on a smaller scale) to test their products and grow their businesses from the comfort of their homes. By complying with cottage food laws, you can start a licensed bakery with lower startup costs.

Catering License

If your bakery offers catering services, you may need a separate catering license. This license helps ensure that you comply with additional regulations related to catering food preparation, transport, and service. Catering licenses often involve inspections of your catering facilities and practices to ensure food safety during off-site events. By obtaining a catering license, you can expand your bakery’s reach and cater to special occasions, corporate events, weddings, and more.

Zoning Laws and Permits

Zoning laws determine where specific types of businesses can operate. Before starting your bakery, you need to ensure that your chosen location is zoned for commercial food establishments. Additionally, you may need zoning permits for signage, parking, and outdoor seating areas. Zoning regulations help maintain a balanced and harmonious community by designating appropriate areas for different types of businesses. Complying with zoning laws ensures that your bakery operates in a permitted location and mitigates potential conflicts with residential or other commercial areas.

Certificate of Occupancy

To legally occupy a commercial space for your bakery, you’ll need a certificate of occupancy. This document confirms that your premises meet building and safety codes. It ensures that your bakery is in compliance with fire safety regulations, accessibility standards, and other building requirements. Before opening your bakery, it’s crucial to obtain a certificate of occupancy to demonstrate that your facility is safe and suitable for business operations.

Homeowner Association Rules

If you plan to operate a bakery from your home, check if your homeowner association has any rules or restrictions on running a business. Some associations prohibit commercial activities in residential areas, while others may have specific guidelines you must follow. It’s important to review your homeowner association’s bylaws or consult with the association to ensure that operating a home bakery aligns with their rules and regulations.

Sales Tax License and Reseller’s Permit

If you sell goods to the public and your state (or municipality) charges a sales tax, then you may need a seller’s permit, reseller’s permit, or another form of sales tax license. A sales tax license allows you to collect and remit sales taxes compliantly. In contrast, a reseller’s permit would allow you to purchase ingredients and supplies for your bakery without paying sales tax. It can help simplify your purchasing process and manage your bakery’s finances more effectively. By obtaining a seller’s permit or sales tax license, you can help establish compliance with tax regulations and avoid fees.

Building Health Permit

If you are constructing or renovating a commercial space for your bakery, you’ll likely need a building health permit that shows your space is up to code. This ensures that your construction or renovation plans comply with health and safety regulations. The permit covers various aspects, including plumbing, ventilation, electrical work, and other building modifications. By obtaining a building health permit, you help ensure that your bakery’s physical infrastructure meets the required standards.

Fire Department Permit

To help ensure fire safety, you may need a permit from the fire department. This permit verifies that your bakery has adequate fire prevention measures in place, such as fire alarms, extinguishers, and emergency exits. Fire safety is critical in any commercial kitchen, and obtaining a fire department permit helps protect your bakery, employees, and customers from potential fire hazards. Working closely with the fire department helps ensure that your bakery operates in a safe environment.

Dumpster Placement Permit

If you require a dumpster for waste disposal, some municipalities may require a permit for its placement. Be sure to check your local regulations regarding dumpster permits. Proper waste management is essential for maintaining a clean and organized bakery. By obtaining the necessary permits, you can ensure that your waste disposal practices align with environmental regulations and contribute to a clean, sustainable community.

Signage Permit

If you plan to display signs or banners for your bakery, you may need a signage permit from your city or county. This permit ensures compliance with local regulations regarding the size, placement, and type of signage you can use. Proper signage is important for attracting customers to your bakery. By obtaining a signage permit, you help ensure that your signs comply with local regulations and contribute to the visual appeal of your bakery’s storefront.

Tax Identification Numbers

Obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS is likely required for your bakery. This unique identification number is used for tax purposes, including filing returns, hiring employees, and opening business bank accounts. Additionally, your state may require a separate tax identification number for state tax purposes. These numbers help you manage your tax obligations as a business and help ensure compliance with tax regulations. Technically, they aren’t licenses, but they’re still essential for running your business, so we’ve included them here. 

DBA (Doing Business As) Name

While not technically a license, a DBA may be required in some states if you operate your bakery under a name that differs from your legal business name. A DBA, sometimes known as a fictitious business name, assumed name, or trade name, allows you to conduct business under a nickname, no matter what business type you’ve formed. Often, a DBA helps customers identify your bakery and build brand recognition in the market. If you choose to operate under a name other than your legal business name, check the requirements in your state regarding DBAs.

We can help!

Navigating through license and permit requirements for bakeries can be overwhelming, but ZenBusiness is here to simplify the process. Our business license report provides you with all the necessary information about the licenses and permits you need, conveniently compiled in one place. Additionally, our LLC formation service allows you to start an LLC for your bakery today for $0, with all the support you need to hit the ground running. Let us navigate the red tape so you can focus on your business.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

FAQs About Bakery Licenses

  • To start a small bakery business, you’ll need a combination of licenses, permits, and registrations. First, you may need to obtain a general business license to operate legally. Additionally, you may require a kitchen health and safety inspection, a food service license, and a food handler’s license to ensure compliance with health and safety regulations. Depending on your location, you may also need permits for zoning, signage, dumpster placement, and fire department approval. Finally, it’s essential to obtain tax identification numbers, such as an EIN, and consider a DBA if you plan to operate under a different name. ZenBusiness can assist you in understanding and obtaining the necessary licenses and permits specific to your bakery business.

  • In Florida, to start a bakery, you will typically need a general business license to operate legally. You will also need to undergo a kitchen health and safety inspection to ensure compliance with food safety regulations. Additionally, you will require a food service license, which involves inspections and compliance with specific guidelines for food preparation and handling. Depending on the nature of your bakery, you may need additional licenses, such as a sales privilege license for sales tax collection or a catering license if you offer catering services. It’s important to research and consult with local government agencies in Florida to determine the exact licenses you need for your bakery.

  • In Texas, selling food requires specific permits to ensure compliance with food safety regulations. To sell food, you’ll need a food service license, which involves inspections of your facility, food handling practices, and cleanliness. Additionally, you may need permits for specific activities, such as outdoor food service, operating a mobile food truck, or selling at farmers’ markets. These permits help ensure that your food is prepared and served safely to protect public health. It’s important to check with the Texas Department of State Health Services and local health departments for the specific permits and regulations applicable to your food-selling business in Texas.

Start a Business in Your State

Popular States for Starting a Small Business