Change Registered Agent in Alaska

Read our guide about what changing an Alaska Registered Agent entails and see why you should use our experts to do it for you.

Get an Alaska LLC formation online and rely on us to serve as your registered agent

Excellent 4.7 out of 5 stars 14,950 reviews

There are a number of reasons you might need to change your Alaska LLC’s registered agent. Maybe your designated registered agent moved out of state, left the company, or no longer wants the responsibility. Maybe you had assigned the job to yourself, and you no longer want your address on public record. Maybe (hopefully) your business has expanded so much that you no longer have time to handle the registered agent responsibilities.

Whatever your reason may be, changing a registered agent in Alaska might seem like a daunting task, with a mountain of paperwork and legal proceedings involved. However it’s actually quite simple, and this guide will help make the process quick and painless.

What the State of Alaska Says about changing a Registered Agent

The state of Alaska has certain requirements about changing your LLC’s registered agent. Your change will only be considered valid if you file a “Statement of Change” for your LLC. Be absolutely sure that you’re filing the correct form, as there are different forms for each entity type and foreign LLCs. You can find all of them on the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development’s “Forms & Fees” page.

Your only option to file is by mail. The Alaska Department of Commerce website only allows online submission for a few types of forms, and the Statement of Change isn’t one of them.

The Department of Commerce has a handy “Registered Agency FAQ” page with plenty more information, and specific instructions are listed on the form itself.

Who can be a Alaska Registered Agent

You can’t pick just anyone to be a registered agent for your LLC. The state of Alaska puts certain restrictions on who can serve as one. If you’re choosing or changing your registered agent, keep these requirements in mind. The registered agent in Alaska must:

  • Be an individual Alaska resident or a business entity located in Alaska (your registered agent must also not be establishing or claiming residency in any other state)
  • Have a Alaska street address (P.O. boxes are not allowed)
  • Not be a non-corporation entity (LLC, LLP, LP, etc.)

* If your registered agent is a foreign business entity, it must be authorized to transact business in Alaska 

How to Change Your Alaska Registered Agent

In order to change your registered agent in Alaska, navigate to the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development website, Forms & Fees page. After clicking “Forms by Entity Type,” find the Limited Liability Company dropdown box. Remember that domestic and foreign LLCs have different forms, so make sure to select the correct one. Here’s the domestic one, and you can find the foreign one here.

Both forms require the same information:

  • Your entity name and Alaska entity number (forgot your entity number? Find it by searching for your company name on the Alaska “Corporations Database”)
  • Your LLC physical address (and mailing address, if different)
  • The name of your new registered agent
  • If your registered agent is an entity, the corresponding entity number
  • The new registered agent’s physical and mailing addresses (these will go on public record)
  • A signature from an LLC member, manager on record with the state (or an attorney-in-fact)
  • The signer’s name must match a name on record with your LLC. Otherwise your filing will not be processed. To check your LLC information, search for it in the Corporations Database.
  • Contact information for your LLC, including a specific contact person and address to return your filed documents
  • Payment information (if paying by credit card)

Like several other Alaska business forms, this one comes with a $25 fee, payable via check or credit card. Include your payment/payment info when you mail your completed form.

Unfortunately, there is no online filing option, and you cannot submit this form by email, so you’ll have to go with good ol’ postal mail. Send your filing to:

Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development

Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing

PO Box 110806, Juneau, AK 99811

*Checks should be made payable to the “State of Alaska”

You might think that you can change your registered agent by updating your Articles of Organization or annual report with the state. While this is true in some states, in Alaska, the only way to make the change is with the “Statement of Change” form.

If you’re too busy, or if you’d feel more comfortable letting someone else take the reins, you have the option of hiring a company or individual to file your paperwork for you. It’s a great way to save time and stress.

Submit your form? Pay your fee? Then kick back, relax, and wait for your form to go on record. Typically, this takes place 10-15 days after the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development receives it. Be sure to take this processing time into consideration when filing your change.

Consider a Registered Agent Service

Think of your registered agent as a mediator between you and the state of Alaska, the person or business entity that handles some of your most important paperwork.

In case you thought the registered agent was just a formality, look at the documents they handle:

  • service of process notices
  • tax information
  • lawsuits
  • and other Secretary of State correspondence.

A lot of important stuff. Which is why a reliable registered agent is essential to every Alaska business owner.

By handling high-priority and sensitive documents on your behalf, your registered agent takes care of your communications with the state, so you can spend more time building your business.

Plus, if you operate a Alaska small business from out of state, a trustworthy registered agent is especially important, as the state requires a local contact for your LLC. Having this contact ensures your company will receive and respond to time-sensitive documents, so you won’t miss filings and get hit with penalties.

If you’re unsure where to find a good Alaska registered agent, consider using a registered agent service. These companies provide you a reliable, professional registered agent so you can have peace of mind knowing you won’t ever miss a filing, tax deadline, or state correspondence.

Sure, you can jump online, search “registered agent service,” and get a ton of results. But the truth is that not all of these services are trustworthy. So, we’ve done some research for you. If you want to know you’re getting a top-quality registered agent, take a look at our comparison guide on the top registered agent services. Many of these providers can also form an LLC for you if you’re needing a fresh start. ZenBusiness and LegalZoom are two very well known options.

Need to Resign your Alaska Registered Agent?

There are numerous reasons you might need to give up your Alabama registered agent role, but only one way to resign.

Registered agents play an important role in the life of an LLC, handling sensitive legal and tax documents, so it’s essential that agents follow proper resignation procedures. Otherwise, you could leave your company with unplanned fines or penalties, and you could be individually liable.

Fortunately, for Alabama LLCs it is easy.

Follow these steps and the hardest part of your resignation won’t be the process itself, it’ll be saying “so long” to your former business.

Notifying the Alaska LLC

Before you do anything else, it’s a good idea to inform the LLC of your resignation. The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development will notify them once your resignation is processed, and they’ll have 30 days before your appointment expires, but giving some extra notice will help everyone involved facilitate a smooth transition. This way, you can work with the LLC to change their registered agent and maintain good standing with the state.

After the Department of Commerce processes your resignation, they will mail an official notice to your LLC at the most recently listed principal office address. By this point, you’ve ideally established a transition plan that they can put into action right away.

Submitting Your Resignation

You’ve informed your LLC, so it’s time to officially relinquish your registered agent responsibilities. It’s a fairly straightforward process, and you’ll only need one form: the “Registered Agent Notice of Resignation.”

If you’re navigating from the Division of Corporations Forms & Fees page, select “Find Forms by Entity Type,” then click “Limited Liability Company,” and you’ll see it there.

Download and print the form. You can also complete it electronically using a PDF viewer like Adobe Acrobat. Here’s the information you’ll need:

  • The LLC’s name and Alaska Entity Number (find the number by using the “Search Corporations Database”).
  • The LLC’s physical and mailing addresses
  • Names, addresses, and titles for the most recently known LLC officials
  • Your signature

There are two more items to include before you mail it off. The first is a $25, non-refundable filing fee, payable by check or credit card. The second is a “Contact Information Sheet,” found on page 3 of the form linked above. If you’re paying by credit card, you’ll also need to complete and include a “Credit Card Payment Form” (on page 4).

There is no online filing option for registered agent resignation, and the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development specifically advises filers not to email their forms, so you’ll need to send it via postal mail. Send your documents to:

State of Alaska

Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing

Corporations Section

PO Box 110806

Juneau, AK 99811-0806

Standard processing time for the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing is 10-15 business days. And after your form is processed, your registered agent appointment will remain active for 30 days, unless the LLC names a new agent during that time. Be aware that you may still receive documents and/or service of process for a month after you submit your resignation.

Handing off Your Responsibilities

When you put down your registered agent responsibilities, someone else has to pick them up, or your LLC will lose its good standing with the state. Help your LLC keep its momentum by carefully planning your transition.

This starts with finding a successor who’s ready to take over right away. Even a small gap in registered agent coverage can result in severe penalties. According to Alaska state law, any business entity that goes more than 30 days without an appointed registered agent can be involuntarily dissolved. That’s a severe penalty, not one that you want befalling your LLC. Help them avoid it by establishing a clear succession plan.

Once you’ve nominated a replacement, confirm that they meet Alaska’s registered agent requirements. They must:

  • Be either an individual Alaska resident or a corporation authorized to transact business in the state.
  • Have a physical Alaska, in-state address (P.O. boxes aren’t allowed)
  • Have a mailing address in Alaska. If the agent doesn’t maintain a valid mailing address, the LLC will receive non-compliant status and could be dissolved.
  • Not be a non-corporation entity, like an LLC, LLP, LP, etc.

We recommend using a registered agent service, which can take over registered agent duties, freeing up more time for the LLC’s managers to focus on running the business.

Finishing Up

You do a lot for your Alaska LLC. You’re essentially the shield that protects it from fines, the filter that catches important documents, the conductor that keeps it on track with compliance.

Because you play such an important role, it’s crucial that you follow the resignation procedures exactly — and potentially provide a replacement agent for the business. Otherwise, you might find yourself and your LLC in hot water.

Follow this guide and you’ll be totally fine. Soon, you’ll be on to your next project, whether that’s starting a new business in Alaska or something completely different.

If you need a fresh start and would like to form a brand new LLC, there are plenty of services that can take care of this for you. ZenBusiness and LegalZoom are two very popular options.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Get Compliant Today

Let ZenBusiness handle this legal responsibility

Change Registered Agent in all 50 States

We outline How to Change a Registered Agent in all 50 states. View all of our guides below.

Change Your Registered Agent