How to File Articles of Incorporation in Kansas

Filing your Articles of Incorporation in Kansas is a pivotal step towards establishing the legal foundation of your business. Explore the comprehensive guide below to navigate the process seamlessly and ensure your business enjoys the benefits of proper incorporation.

Excellent 4.7 out of 5 stars 15,315 reviews

Once you’ve decided to start a Kansas-based corporation, it’s time to begin the regulatory process of establishing that business by filing your Kansas Articles of Incorporation. If you want to understand the role that Articles of Incorporation play in the creation of a business in Kansas in a larger context, read our How to Form a Kansas Corporation guide.

When you’re ready, submit the Articles of Incorporation to the Office of the Kansas Secretary of State. The articles fall under statute KSA 17-6002. Once your Articles of Incorporation are filed, they become public. So you’ll want to consider the use of any private information on your application.

How to Complete the Articles of Incorporation Form

You can file your Articles of Incorporation with the Kansas Secretary of State’s office in several ways: mail, fax, in person, or online. Submitting online is an easy way to file and the filing fees are lower than the other methods.

The for-profit/nonprofit Articles of Incorporation form can be downloaded or filled out online, downloaded, and printed.

Out-of-state business entities (known as foreign corporations) need to file additional documents: a Certificate of Good Standing from the parent state, issued within 90 days of your Kansas application, and the Foreign For-Profit Corporation Application. This application requires all the information that you would submit on a standard Articles of Incorporation form. There’s a fee to file this document.

Both the regular for-profit/nonprofit Articles of Incorporation and the Foreign For-Profit Corporation Application require the following information:

Your name. No other Kansas business can be using the name you choose. Your business name must include one of the following words: College, Company, Association, Church, Club, Corporation, Fund, Foundation, Incorporation, Society, Limited, Institute, Syndicate, Union, or University. You can use an abbreviation when appropriate. Check the availability of your desired name on the Business Search web page of the Secretary of State’s site.

Resident agent. A resident agent (known in most other states as a registered agent) receives government and legal notifications on behalf of your business. The resident agent can be an individual or a company, but must reside in Kansas and be available during regular business hours. You can be your own resident agent, but having to be tied to your office all day to receive legal documents can be inconvenient. ZenBusiness offers a Kansas resident agent service to assist you. Our resident agent providers will accept receipt of these documents and post them on your ZenBusiness dashboard where you can access them for review and required action.

Your mailing address. This is where you receive regular mail, including that from the government.

Tax closing month. What’s the time frame of your financial year? If you run on a standard year, enter “December.” If you operate on a specific fiscal year, enter the month that your fiscal year closes.

Effective date. When do you want your corporation to start? You can have the corporation officially come into existence as soon as your Articles of Incorporation are accepted, or you can choose a starting date up to 90 days from when you file your articles.

Purpose of your business. You can describe your business in generic terms (such as “to engage in lawful acts for which corporations may be organized”) or be more specific (plumbing, law firm, mechanic, etc.)

Stock. You must list how many shares you’re creating and the par value (face value) of each share. If the shares have special rights or limitations, you need to list those as well. If your corporation won’t have stock, you either need to indicate if the conditions of membership are fixed or detail those conditions.

Incorporator. This is the person who will sign and submit your Articles of Incorporation. This person doesn’t need to have an official role in your business beyond signing the Articles of Incorporation. You need at least one incorporator who is a person, not a company.

Board of Directors. You only need to provide the names and mailing addresses of your board of directors if your incorporator’s role ends after filing your Articles of Incorporation. Directors can use a business address or a P.O. box rather than their home addresses, if desired.

Duration. How long will your business be in operation? If indefinitely, select “Perpetual” on the form. If you only plan to operate your business for a limited period, list your planned end date.

Include supplemental forms

Foreign corporations need to submit a Certificate of Good Standing from their parent state along with the Foreign For-Profit Corporation Application.

How to Submit the Form

The state charges filing fees regardless of your method of filing. Check the Secretary of State website for the latest fee schedule and updated filing information. When filing your Articles of Incorporation online, you may receive a response as soon as the same day. If you fax, mail, or deliver them in person, the approximate turnaround time is two to three days.

After you file, you’ll want to make sure you stay in good standing with the state. Use our Worry-Free Compliance service to put your mind at ease and focus on what’s important.


Preparing the Articles of Incorporation, along with the other tasks necessary for starting a business in Kansas, may feel a bit overwhelming. But ZenBusiness is here to help you find your footing with our Business Formation Plans Service.

Kansas Articles of Incorporation FAQs

  • For the most current fees and methods of payment available, check with the Kansas Secretary of State website.

  • If you file online, the turnaround can be the same day. If you file by mail, in person, or by fax, the turnaround time is approximately two to three days.

  • The Office of the Kansas Secretary of State processes Articles of Incorporation.

  • Statute KSA 17-6002 governs the Kansas Articles of Incorporation.

  • No, you can do it on your own or use a business formation service like ZenBusiness.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.

zenbusiness logo

Written by Team ZenBusiness

Get Incorporated in Kansas Today!