Arizona Filing Fees

What are the Business Filing Fees in Arizona?

Starting a business in Arizona means paying a variety of government filing fees. We’ve compiled the most common ones here so that you’ll know what to expect.


If you’re starting a business in Arizona, you’re probably going to have to file some paperwork to get it running. And you’ll likely need to pay fees for the paperwork you file. There are forms and fees to submit when forming a statutory entity such as a corporation, limited liability company (LLC), or limited partnership. And though there aren’t typically forms or fees you need to submit to form common law entities like sole proprietorships and general partnerships, any business entity can be subject to multiple business filing requirements and fees. If you need to create your business, we can help with our LLC Formation service or Corporation Formation service.

These filings and fees can include licenses, permits, registrations, periodic reports, and renewals. Let’s take a look at the fees you might encounter when forming your Arizona business and how we can help.  

Step 1: Pay your Arizona business’s initial filing fees

There are several kinds of businesses that need to file business formation documents and pay Arizona formation fees to the state before they get started. These businesses include the following:

  • Corporations – there is a standard fee to file Articles of Incorporation
  • Nonprofit corporations – you’ll need to pay a fee to file Articles of Incorporation
  • Foreign corporations – there is a standard fee to file Articles of Domestication
  • Limited liability companies – you need to pay a fee to file Articles of Organization
  • Foreign limited liability companies –  there is a fee to file an Application for Registration of Foreign Limited Liability Company
  • Limited partnerships – a fee is required to file for a Certificate of Limited Partnership
  • Limited liability partnerships – the fee is for a Certificate of Limited Liability Partnership 
  • Limited liability limited partnership – you’ll pay a filing fee for a Certificate of Limited and an additional charge for a Statement of Qualification to be a Limited Liability Limited Partnership
  • Foreign limited partnership – there’s a filing fee for an Authority to Transact Business
  • Foreign limited liability partnership – there’s a standard filing fee for an Authority to Transact Business, plus an added charge for a Statement of Qualification to Be a Foreign Limited Liability Partnership
  • Foreign limited liability limited partnership – you’ll pay a filing fee for an Authority to Transact Business, and an additional charge for a Statement of Qualification to Be a Foreign Limited Liability Limited Partnership

These Arizona filing fees often change. To get the most current fee rates, it’s important to check with the Arizona Corporation Commission or the Arizona Secretary of State. If you have a limited partnership, you submit your form and fees to the Secretary of State. If you have a corporation or LLC, you send your forms and payment to the Arizona Corporation Commission.  

You probably hope to get your business started as soon as possible after filing your forms, but there can be a waiting period for processing your information. Regular processing time for LLCs and Corporations can take up to 30 business days. Remember that this processing time can fluctuate and filing forms for corporations and LLCs online can speed things up. You can also pay expedited processing fees for forming corporations and LLCs, which could knock the processing time down to five business days. 

All of these filings and turnaround times can be a lot to think about on top of your other business obligations. Our expedited filing service can help you get your corporation and LLC formation documents filed as quickly as possible. 

Step 2: Reserve your Arizona business’s name 

The name for your business is important, not only because you need a business name to file formation documents, but also because you need a name to advertise to the public. The business name you file with the state needs to be distinguishable. Giving your business a good and distinguishable name can be a race against time because you want to file it with the state before someone else does, but you also want to have all your necessary paperwork together before you file your information. So what do you do? 

You can hold a corporation or LLC name for 120 days by filing an Application to Reserve and paying a small fee. You can’t renew a name reservation. If you have a foreign corporation, you can pay a small fee to file an Application to Register Foreign Corporation Name. The registration lasts for one year, and you can renew your registration yearly. 

We can help you protect your business name while you get your other documents in order. Our business name reservation service checks if the name you want is available, and we can reserve your business name while you’re working on other tasks. 

Step 3: Reserve a “doing business as” name in Arizona

A DBA (“doing business as”) is a business name you use that’s different from your official business name. Sometimes this is called a trade name. There are plenty of reasons to use a DBA or trade name. If you’re a sole proprietor and you don’t want to advertise your business under your personal name, a DBA or trade name can come in handy. If you’re an LLC, corporation, or partnership, a DBA or trade name can help you distinguish different parts of your business. 

If you want a DBA, you record it with your County Recorder’s office. You can register a trade name with the Secretary of State for a small fee, and there’s an option for renewal. Trade names are good for five years. Or, you can let us do it for you with our Arizona DBA registration service.

Step 4: Obtain a Employer Identification Number

Most statutory business entities and many common law business entities need an EIN. An EIN is an identification many businesses need before they can fulfill their federal tax obligations. Businesses that are run as corporations, businesses with employees, and businesses that run as partnerships need an EIN. It’s free to apply for an EIN with the IRS, but it can be an added hassle. 

If you’re looking to take this off your shoulders, you can use our Employer ID Number service and we can take care of fulfilling this obligation for you. 

Step 5: Draft an operating agreement, corporate bylaws, or partnership agreement for your Arizona business

Operating agreements, partnership agreements, and corporate bylaws are binding documents that dictate how certain businesses run, rules for business ownership, and what constitutes a businesses-ending event. Operating agreements apply to LLCs, partnership agreements apply to partnerships, and corporate bylaws apply to corporations. Most of these documents are optional, but corporations must have bylaws. Even if you’re not required to have an operating agreement or partnership agreement for your business, it’s best to have one. These documents give you more control over how your business is run. 

If you’re starting an LLC, you can write an operating agreement on your own for free, but this often isn’t the best decision. An operating agreement can have significant effects on your business and you want the terms to be solid. You can hire an attorney to write one, but this route can be quite expensive. A great way to receive guidance is to use our operating agreement template. This template gives you a solid foundation for writing your operating agreement so you can easily take control of how your business is run. 

Step 6: Apply for your Arizona business’s necessary licenses and permits

While Arizona law doesn’t require every business to have a license, most businesses will still need some kind of license or permit from the federal, state, or local government. There’s also a good chance your business will need multiple licenses from different government entities. Your business needs to fulfill all its licensing and permit requirements to legally operate, but there isn’t a central place you can look to determine what all of those requirements are. That’s where we come in. We have partnered with Business Licenses, LLC., to provide a Business License Report. Using your industry, business activities, and location to conduct research, Business Licenses, LLC., provides you with one easy report that outlines the licenses, permits, and registrations your business may need at every level of government.

Step 7: Pay registration fees for out-of-state businesses

A “foreign” business is a business that was formed outside of the state. Most states require out-of-state businesses to file paperwork and pay fees to conduct business in their state. The kinds of paperwork and fees needed to operate foreign businesses in Arizona are listed above.  

Most states also require a Certificate of Good Standing from a foreign business’s home state. A Certificate of Good Standing lets others know that your business has complied with applicable state law. There is a small fee to get a Certificate of Good Standing for an Arizona LLC, but this is another service we can take care of for you.

Step 8: Check Arizona’s annual report requirements & fees

In Arizona, corporations and certain limited partnerships need to file annual reports to comply with state law. With these reports, the following businesses also have to pay Arizona filing fees:

  • Corporations 
  • Nonprofit corporations
  • Limited liability partnerships (LLPs) 
  • Limited liability limited partnerships (LLLPs) 
  • Foreign limited liability partnerships (FLLPs) 
  • Foreign limited liability limited partnerships (FLLLPs) 

Again, these fees often change, so be sure to check the amount before filing. For any form of limited partnership, you pay your fees to the Secretary of State by check or money order. For corporations, you pay your fees to the Arizona Corporation Commission. They accept cash, checks, money orders, credit cards (Visa and Mastercard only), and payments from a “money-on-deposit” account. 

There’s a lot to keep track of when operating a business, and annual reporting requirements are part of that list. Our annual report service keeps track of your annual reporting requirements, sends you notifications, and helps you file your annual report to keep you compliant. 

Step 9: Keep your Arizona business legally compliant

Things rarely stay the same, even in business. If your business undergoes certain changes, you need to report them to the state. Business changes that you need to report to the state can include: 

  • Changes to the business formation documents
  • Changes to documents giving foreign entities the right to conduct business in Arizona
  • Business name changes
  • Changes in management
  • Changes in shares (corporations)
  • Changes of statutory registered agents 
  • Address changes
  • Changes in the state or country of formation (foreign businesses)

There can be multiple ways to make these changes, as well as different filing fees. Here are some examples of the type of documents you can file to reflect these changes:

  • Amendments to Certificates of Limited Partnership (including LLPs, LLLPs, FLLPs, and FLLLPs)
  • Restatements to Certificates of Limited Partnership (including LLPs, LLLPs, FLLPs, and FLLLPs)
  • Articles of Amendment (LLCs and corporations) 
  • Articles of Amendment to Application for Registration (LLCs) 
  • Articles of Correction (LLCs and corporations) 
  • Restated Articles of Incorporation (corporations) 
  • Amended and Restated Articles of Incorporation (corporations) 
  • Statement of Change (corporations) 
  • Statutory Agent Resignation (corporations) 

Be sure to research the fee amounts so you get the most current information. You can pay additional fees to expedite the processing of these forms. 

Our Worry-Free Compliance service handles two business amendments for you per year as well as a slew of other compliance tasks. Alternatively, our amendment filing service handles just the amendments to your Articles of Organization or Articles of Incorporation. 

You can depend on us to help with your Arizona business’s filing needs

Your business might have to get through a lot of red tape to become and remain viable. Unfortunately, you can seriously damage your company if you don’t get through all the red tape. We can help you easily avoid damage with our multiple services that stay on top of your business compliance obligations. Take a look at our many business formation and legal compliance tools and services to see how we can help you make a big job just a little bit easier.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.


  • Are there penalties for paying my fees late in Arizona?

    Yes. See the Secretary of State’s website for a full breakdown.

  • What happens if I can’t pay my fees to the Arizona government?

    You might have to pay penalties, your business could be closed, or your business could be involuntarily dissolved.

  • Who receives the fees for forming my Arizona business?

    If you form a corporation or LLC, you pay the Arizona Corporation Commission. If you form some version of a limited partnership, you pay the Arizona Secretary of State.

  • What is usually the biggest fee I will pay when I form my Arizona business?

    Your biggest filing fee depends on the nature of your business and your licensing and permit obligations at the federal, state, and local levels. For state licenses, your biggest fee will likely be your business formation (or registration) fee.

  • What payment methods can I use to pay my LLC or corporation filing fees to the Arizona government?

    You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card (Visa and Mastercard only), or a “money-on-deposit” account.

Small business owners

Ready to get started?

Get the fastest information, worry-free services, and expert support you need.

Start Now